600 Guangdong drivers enter Hong Kong as thousands apply for new scheme
About 600 motorists from Guangdong province have driven their vehicles into Hong Kong’s urban areas during the Lunar New Year holiday under a new scheme that has so far attracted 3,000 applications, according to the transport minister. Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan said on Saturday that the number of weekend drivers was on…
About 600 motorists from Guangdong province have driven their vehicles into Hong Kong’s urban areas during the Lunar New Year holiday under a new scheme that has so far attracted 3,000 applications, according to the transport minister.
Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan said on Saturday that the number of weekend drivers was on average nearly at capacity while weekday slots were also “pretty well” filled, depending on whether any major events were taking place in Hong Kong.
“During the Lunar New Year period, it is a long holiday on the mainland, so we found the number of applications very positive, which matches our expectations,” she said. “We are very happy to see the scheme doing well in its initial stage.”
She added that the government would first consolidate the foundation of the scheme before reviewing the quota, currently set at 100 vehicles per day.
Launched in late December last year, the Southbound Travel for Guangdong Vehicles (Entry into Urban Area) scheme allows approved private cars from the neighbouring province to enter Hong Kong directly via the Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge.
Under the scheme, motorists can stay for up to three days.

